Friday, July 6, 2007

Don't take your freedom for granted

Spent the Forth with some friends at the American club here in our wonderful Military Dictatorship. It seems that the top dogs are cracking down more and more on the traditional churches. I have heard reports this week about believers being martyred in the state which I focus on. One deacon was pulled out of his house and beaten to death for simiply sharing his faith. Another family in another township were terrorized by a dunken mob had sharpend bamboo poles shoved through their house while they sleeping.

Cell phones here cost three thousand US dollars. Used beat up cars that wouldn't bring $800 in the US run for $18,000 here. Gas is rationed so that you can only purchase two gallons per day. There is little to no freedom of the press. The power goes off all the time. Motorbikes are not allowed here in the largest city in the country and there is a curfew at 10pm every night.

It is absolutely pouring down rain here every single day and night. There has been severe flooding in my area too. Six tornadoes have touch down in Yangon in the past week doing lots of damage.

I was walking down a muddy, vile, nasty street the other day and was reminded that one day I will look down and I will be starring at streets made with gold. That kinda gave me a different perspective. God is certainly on the move here. I will write more about that later.

No comments: